The local traditions and religious feasts are celebrated in Santorini. In the feast day of the patron saint of every village, celebrations are held.
During the Holy week before Easter, you will be able to experience a magic Holy Good Friday at Pyrgos village as the whole hill is lit up with candles and there is an absolutely spiritual atmosphere.
In the evening of Holy Saturday, don’t miss the chance to go up to the monastery of Prophet Elias. Celebrations are traditional and electricity is not being used. The memory of Prophet Elias is celebrated on the 20th of July.
- Visit Pyrgos village in Holy Good Friday where the hill above the village is all lit with candles and celebrate the Easter with the local customs.
- In August join the various cultural festivals!
Other religious festivals are:
- 2nd, the feast of Ypapantis is celebrated in Oia, Fira and Vothonas
- 5th, the feast of Agia Irini in Messaria
- 12th, the feast of Agios Epifaneios in Akrotiri
- 29th, the feast of Agia Theodosia in Fira and Akrotiri
- 1th, the feast day of Agioi Anargyroi in Megalochori
- 9th, the feast of Agios Pagratios in Kamari
- 20th, the feast day of Profitis Ilias in Fira village and Pyrgos’ monastery
- 24th, the feast day of Agios Ioannis in Monolithos
- 6th, the feast day of Transfiguration of Christ in Akrotiri and Emporeio
- 15th, one of the most important days of the Orthodox Church, the feast day of the Diocese of Virgin Mary is celebrated in Akrotiri, Karterados, Mesa Vouno and other places on the island
- 29th, the feast of Agios Ioannis in Perissa and Imerovigli
- 8th, the feast day of Panagia Katefiani in Perissa
- 14th, the feast day of the Holy Cross in Perissa
- 21th, the feast day of Panagias Giatrissas on Thirassia island
- 24th, the feast day of Panagia Myrtidiotissa in Kamari
- 22th, the feast day of Agios Averkios, patron of wine, is celebrated in Emporeio
- 26th, the feast day of Agios Dimitrios in Messaria
- 13th, the feast day of Agios Efstratios in Vourvoulos
- Ifestia festival which represents the volcano eruption takes place every year usually in September or August. It is a feast with impressive fireworks over the volcano, dance performances and concerts.
- Santorini Jazz Festival is organised every July.
- The International Music Festival is organised every September and hosts artists from around the world. The concerts take place in the Petros Nomikos Conference.
- The Cultural Center Megaro Gyzi organises every August various cultural events including music concerts and painting exhibitions of well-known artists. You can find more information in www.gyzimegaron.gr.