There is a big variety of hotels in Santorini, from cheap to luxury resorts but it is not necessary to choose the most expensive one to enjoy high quality services and elegant accommodation. Here are 7+1 tips to assist you find the best option for you.
- If you are looking for a nice caldera view, there are some good options to make the most of your money in the known villages of Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia (take a look at the recommended and budget hotels). However, you can also find interesting choices in Akrotiri, Megalochori and Mesaria if you don’t mind moving around with your car, a taxi or public transport to get to the beach and the center of the nightlife (see also How to move around).
- Megalochori and Mesaria are in the middle of the island, so you can split the distance between the beaches and Fira. Santorini is not a big island and the distances are quite short. Firostefani is very close to Fira and you can save some money without being far from the capital (see also hotels with great view).
- Akroriti offers also magnificent views, being at the south end and overlooking the whole island. There are some very nice luxury hotels and the place is ideal to enjoy the beautiful sunset, the famous Red beach and Vlychada and taste delicious local food in the traditional restaurants.
- Another good option for your accommodation is Pyrgos village which is on the way to the three most known beaches of Perissa, Kamari and Vlychada. It is not at the edge of the cliff but you can find some nice hotels and villas to rent and enjoy your stay in a traditional village.
- At Perissa, Perivolos and Kamari there are some good value for money options. You will be close to the beach, while you can also find cheap restaurants and a quite big choice of bars (especially in Kamari) to spend your evening, if you don’t want to move to Fira (have a look at the beach hotels).
- If you are not interested in sunbathing or swimming at the sea (although you can find some hotels offering heated swimming pools), you can visit the island from November to April. This is the time when the hotels mostly make special offers and you can find the cheapest prices, staying even at a luxury hotel at a fraction of the money you would pay in another season.
- If you are a family, you might consider staying at an apartment or a villa where you can prepare your meals any time of the day and save the money you would spend in the restaurants.
The highest season and prices in Santorini are during July and August, but if you visit the island on May, June, September or even October you can enjoy a good weather, lower prices and a less crowded island to explore and enjoy the tranquility of the place.